Katie for Catani
My Name is Katie Blakey and I live in St Kilda.
Working in the social justice sector I have a strong connection to supporting equality and rights, particularly for those who feel their voice has been ignored or not taken seriously.
I love St Kilda and feel so lucky to be able to live here. This is a vibrant and diverse community and I'm passionate about ensuring it remains a fairer St Kilda.
The key issues I commit to include:
• Protecting and further invigorating Live Music. St Kilda's status is fading as a cultural hub as this needs to be addressed as a priority. An example of this is the St Kilda Festival. Like many of you, I have long been a fan of the St Kilda Festival and I go along with my friends and family. This Festival is a priority for St Kilda; for our residents and our traders and it should be Council’s priority to get it right.
You cannot say that you support Live Music only to let one of the biggest live music festivals in this community almost slip away. You need to ensure its viability by making it your number one priority. As the councillor for Catani ward, I would make sourcing funding options to ensure the viability of the St Kilda Festival my top priority each year.
• Ensure our retail and business strips are supported as diverse dynamic areas that will be attractive for both locals and visitors and to consult regularly with the hard working traders in our community.
• If we are to have a diverse St Kilda there has to be room for everyone. We all have a right to live in this wonderful community and contribute to it. This includes members of our community who rely on social housing who for a long time, have not had their voices heard or taken seriously. I would approach all social housing issues on their merits and ensure our council has strategies in place to best support the most vulnerable in our community.
• Support the re-building of the St Kilda Pier and Harbour. Our beaches are a great asset for those of us who live here and visitors and it’s the responsibility of this council to ensure this asset is safe and remains accessible to everyone. But I am concerned that the proposed wall to be built next to the Pier to protect an expanded Yacht Club facility will harm community amenity and views from the Pier. If we don’t step back we could risk another St Kilda Triangle. I will work with Parks Victoria and the community to ensure we strike the right balance and protect this important public amenity.
• Our Community continues to be an attractive place to bring up a family, so early childhood places and great quality public schools are important to meet this growth. I support the recently CoPP report which says that we need a new primary school at the Western end of the electorate and for more investment in secondary schools. Support for a new campus at Albert Park College and the rebuilding of Elwood College are the priorities.
So on Saturday 27 october 2012, vote 1 Katie Blakey in the Catani Ward, City of Port Phillip Council Elections.
You can also vote early or postal Vote. Ask me how.
Call me if you want to find out more about what I can do for St Kilda as councillor.
0423 727 564
Authorised by A Smith 22/17 Robe Street, St Kilda 3182.